What is a guy doing writing romance?
I started out writing science fiction and fantasy, and I am
still pursuing projects in those genres, but I found when I mixed in a romantic
element, the story always got stronger and more satisfying.
I was an avid comic book collector as a kid, right up into
my 20’s. From comics I discovered Robert E. Howard’s Conan series of books. It
was only a short jump from there to Tolkien and other fantasy and science
fiction authors, my all time favorite is Anne McCaffrey. I’ve spent many wonder
filled days on Pern and her other fantastic worlds. It was my wife that
introduced me to the romance genre with Nora Roberts book Enchanted. (You never forget your first romance.)
My first published work, Swiftly
Beats the heart, is a romance novella about two superheroes, a direct
tribute to my early years of neglecting my homework, lost in a comic book.
There are a lot of fantasy and science fiction elements (magic, fantastic
creatures, dimensional rifts) in my Demons
Rising trilogy. And in my latest novel, Son
of Thunder, I was able to blend in my love of Norse mythology as well.
I often have to remind that the heart of my story is the
romance itself. The fantastic elements are really just window dressing. The
real story is two people falling in love. The prize/triumph/payoff isn’t
defeating the nasty villain. It’s the love the two discover along the journey.
If I stay grounded in the love story, I can add in just about anything else.
So, can a guy write romance? Judge for yourself. The Kindle
version of Swiftly Beats the Heart is
FREE right now on Amazon.
If you like that, check out my latest: Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder
The man looked like a god. Then again, he was one. . .
Jord Thorson was a god– the son of Thor, the Norse God of Thunder. In his search to find his missing father, Jord seeks out the mortal, Meghan Larson, who is in possession of his only clue–Megingjörð, Thor’s magical belt of power.
But when the belt decides to take matters into its own hands, locking itself around Meghan’s waist, Jord and Meghan are plunged into the middle of a massive conflict that rages across the heavens.
Giants, magical artifacts, and a golden city in the clouds weren’t exactly what Meghan Larson expected when that amazing belt arrived at her museum. Now Megingjörð is stuck around her waist and talking to her in her head. She’s got to be dreaming, but with the wonders around her and hunky Jord Thorson at her side, Meghan’s not sure she wants to wake up.
Jord Thorson was a god– the son of Thor, the Norse God of Thunder. In his search to find his missing father, Jord seeks out the mortal, Meghan Larson, who is in possession of his only clue–Megingjörð, Thor’s magical belt of power.
But when the belt decides to take matters into its own hands, locking itself around Meghan’s waist, Jord and Meghan are plunged into the middle of a massive conflict that rages across the heavens.
Giants, magical artifacts, and a golden city in the clouds weren’t exactly what Meghan Larson expected when that amazing belt arrived at her museum. Now Megingjörð is stuck around her waist and talking to her in her head. She’s got to be dreaming, but with the wonders around her and hunky Jord Thorson at her side, Meghan’s not sure she wants to wake up.
Books:
Swiftly Beats the Heart
(February 2012)
There’s no such thing
as Werewolves (March 2012)
The Forsaken Templar (May
2012)
Seeds of Immortality (December
2012)
Son of Thunder
(February 2013)
A little bit about the author.
S.C.Mitchell grew up an avid reader of comic books, science fiction and
fantasy literature. He credits his wife with introducing him to the paranormal
romance genre. He’s been writing stories for over thirty years. In 2010 he left
his job as a computer desktop support specialist to pursue his passion for
writing. He is a member of the Romance Writers of America and the Writer’s
Voice.Steve lives with his wife of thirty-five years in the wooded northlands of Wisconsin. They have two adult children.
When he’s not writing, Steve enjoys gardening, reading, music and computer gaming.
Links:


Great post! It's nice to get a man's perspective on romances. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Rachel.
DeleteExcellent post! Intriguing storyline for Son of Thunder. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Joanne. It was fun to research and write.
DeleteLove comic books also and still have some of my old ones [Donald] Also think guys bring a different perspective to the romantic story that makes it even warmer.
ReplyDeleteI unloaded my old comic collection (at the worst possible time money-wise) when I got tired of moving it around. Now I wish I had some of those great classics again.
DeleteLove Anne McCaffrey. She got me into SF and Fantasy. Not just the Pern series, but I enjoyed the Crystal Singers as well. Also the one about telepaths and primes - can't remember the name
ReplyDeleteThe Rowan was the first book I think - great series. I know my library had them all. I made sure of that.
DeleteLove the post. It's great to have a man's perspective.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Patricia. ♥
DeleteIt's got to be really cold in the northlands of Wisconsin right now! Hope you're doing more writing than snow-shoveling. I'm also looking at the dates on your books, relative to when you lest your computer job. You are mighty prolific, Steve!! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Kate. I try to write every day, but I tend to be a bit A.D.D. I have 4 writing projects in the works right now, each one pulling me toward it.
DeleteThanks Katie for featuring me today. A quick apology: I got the promotion up on Swiftly Beats the Heart late, so it won't be free until tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove the post but then again I am a sucker for anything with fantasy elements. Add romance and I'm hooked. Sounds like a great story. Best of luck with sales.
ReplyDeleteThanks Maggie, and I agree. Give me a fantasy and I'm lost in it. Add romance and I'm golden.
DeleteSwiftly Beats the Heart is now up Free for the rest of the month at the above link.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read your work, yet, but your novella sounds right up my alley. I LOVE super-heroes and I'm also interested in SON OF THUNDER because I'm very into mythology (although I tend to lean toward the Greek/Roman mythology as opposed to Norse, but I did see the first THOR movie and I've seen THE AVENGERS, and loved both). Best wishes to you and that's awesome you love romance.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Bethany. I hope you enjoy Swiftly Beats The Heart.
DeleteSteve, so nice to read about how you got started, both in writing and in romance. I recommend Son of Thunder. It's a fun read with a unique take on Norse gods.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed Son of Thunder. Thank you for the nice review. ♥
DeleteVery interesting post. A new POV.:-) I loved Pern as well. My sister even named her dog Rowan after the first Prime book. My fave AM novel is Restoree, a real SFR if she ever wrote one! Son of Thunder sounds great. It's one my TBR pile as soon as I get the time.
ReplyDelete