Title: THE BLOOD BARRIER
Age and Genre: YA FANTASY
Word Count: 80,000
Query:
Sixteen-year-old Haley’s one of the Taken—a group of children with inherent abilities who are stolen at birth for their powers. As a blood-blender, she can enter a person’s bloodstream to kill. Raised in a compound, she’s become the Front’s top killer-in-training. In a last ditch effort to cling to her sanity, and possibly find friendship or love, she manages to escape. Problem is, freedom from the compound can’t wipe out sixteen years of training to be a murderer. And now that she’s alone, she can't fight those ingrained urges—not a good look for someone seeking asylum.
Luckily, when she meets an epileptic time-traveler, KC, and his emotion-shifting best friend, Charles, she may find a way to evade the Front’s grasp permanently.
Give or take a few problems. She’s falling for Charles, who happens to be KC's crush. Not to mention the fact that KC might be her brother. With the Front hot on their trail, Haley must harness her powers to keep her new friends safe. Otherwise, she might accidentally kill them. Piece of cake. Unless, of course, everyone she loves ends up being the biggest delusion of all.
First 250 Words:
Heat, intense but not unpleasant, hits my face as flames flicker along the floor of my bedroom. Steadily, each shiny-smooth plank evolves into a charred mess. The more I concentrate on the flames, the more Mama’s voice slips from my mind. I revel in peaceful emptiness.
Afraid of the dark, Mama? Are you kidding? Night is when we unzip the eyes of day and let our true skin free. Afraid? No, I live for the dark. When this room’s roasted, you’ll see I can destroy.
“Just you wait.”
In front of me, intertwined in the orange and blue blaze, the shape of a boy shines brightly. It’s as if he’s motioning for me to proceed with caution, but that’s impossible. Hypnotized, I try to make out his features. It’s no use; I don’t recognize him, so I break my gaze. There’s no time to waste.
If I don’t act fast, this will end up like all my other failed attempts.
Not quite what I had in mind when I planned my latest escape earlier today, but for some reason, the fire fills me with calm instead of panic. A solid resolve sits in the pit of my stomach, right where fear normally reigns.
Mama’s voice creeps into my head again. Little tendrils of hate-filled admonitions wrap around my brain. They pound my synapses until my mind’s full of her once more. It’s time to kill them all, baby.
A drive to obey envelops me. I embrace her command and head for my door.

Oh, I think I recognize this one. ;)
ReplyDeleteIf I'm wrong though, and it's not the one I already have in my inbox, then I'm definitely interested. It sounds fantastic! Please follow submission guidelines located here: http://www.reuts.com/submissions/
And if I do already have it, then take this a vote of confidence! ;)
Kisa Whipkey
Acquisitions & Editorial Director
REUTS Publications
I'd like to see more of this one! Please follow the submission guidelines at www.bookfishbooks.com. Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteErin Rhew
Operations Manager at BookFish Books
Hi there,
ReplyDeleteWe've actually been trying to contact you to get a full MS of The Blood Barrier. I enjoyed your query materials and would love to read the entire book. Please send your manuscript (as an attachment) to submit@jollyfishpress.com and mark it to me so I don't miss it. Thanks so much for your time!
You start the story off in such a vivid manner. I would like to read more. If you're interested, please send your full manuscript to Debby@SoulMatePublishing.com. Please write the title and Son of A Pitch in the subject line. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Debby Gilbert
Soul Mate Publishing
"Where Two Become One"