Monday, February 29, 2016

Son of a Pitch Entry: The Proxy Initiative

Title: The Proxy Initiative
Category and Genre: Adult Science Fiction
Word Count: 80,000

Query:
The Proxy Initiative is a government cybersecurity contractor founded to infiltrate people's minds through their wetware – computers implanted directly in the skull – and Ethan Pryce is their lead programmer. When he finds out the people he's working for are more interested in their own power than using the tools he developed to fight terrorism, Ethan goes rogue. He downloads a head full of damning data that could destroy The Proxy Initiative and he taps into their system, so the next time they hack someone he'll take over instead.

A glitch overloads his wetware and he loses control. Now, every night Ethan is forced into the bodies of strangers. He experiences the world through their eyes, feels their pain, and controls their bodies while a trio of psychopaths working for The Proxy Initiative hunt these bodies down. To locate the real Ethan, they'll murder and torture his as many times as they have to because he's the only one with the power to stop them.

The glitch in his wetware also rendered the data that he sacrificed so much to get inaccessible without specialized hardware. Hardware owned and guarded by the very people hunting him down. He'll have to find a way to destroy the Proxy Initiative before they destroy him and use their technology to create a world that would make George Orwell look like an optimist.


250 Words:

Drive full.
The message flashes in my brain. I grab the cable jacked into the base of my skull with sweat slicked fingers and scan the list of documents.
Shit. The Proxy software isn’t downloaded. I rearrange the files and send mental instructions to override the wetware-brain barrier. It will erase some personal memories, but I need that software.
My past is best forgotten anyhow.
“It's time, Ethan.” Meridian takes her eyes off the view of Central Park and rises from my couch, dark face crinkling with anticipation. “Got everything?”
“Not quite. Proxy ‘ware’s incomplete.”
“You didn’t download it first?” Meridian scowls at me. "I thought you were supposed to be smart."
“Just a few seconds.” I flick a nervous smile at her. "You can give me that much more of the good life."
Meridian takes in my penthouse apartment. "You had an easy ride, but you'll adapt." Her face twitches. She's a surprisingly bad liar for a double agent betraying one of the most secretive and powerful companies in America.
"I'm tougher than I look." I puff out what little there is of my chest. "What's it like… being poor?"
"For starters, don't say shit like that or you'll get a punch in the—"
Loud popping noises from the hall outside cut her off mid-sentence.
“Time to go.” Meridian draws a pistol from inside her jacket and chambers a round.
"You're going to kill them?"
"You think this is a fucking game?"

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested! Could you please send the first three chapters to jennie@redsofaliterary.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Please send a full synopsis and the first three chapters to submit@jollyfishpress.com and address it to me (Reece Hanzon) so I don't miss it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are interested in this manuscript. Please follow the submission guidelines on our website - http://www.dancinglemurpressllc.com/submission-guidelines/ Mention Son of a Pitch in your query and include the first three chapters.

    ReplyDelete