Monday, February 29, 2016

Son of a Pitch Entry: Hunter

Title: HUNTER
Age and Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Word Count: 56,000

Query:
When sixteen year old Hunter’s growing telepathic ability lands her on the FBI’s radar, her colleague puts a gun to her head. He wants to silence the secrets of their bounty hunter agency locked in her mind. Fortunately for her, it’s not her time to die.

Surviving means making an unlikely friend with an FBI agent named Seeker. He’s the same agent that caused her partner to turn on her in the first place, and he has a mission of his own. Bring Hunter back alive to face judgment for her role in a multitude of murders she’s being accused of.

After nearly escaping the FBI’s grasp with a rogue telepath named Duke and having her thoughts pilfered for information against her will, Hunter learns that she must put her life on the line to clear her name and bring down Talon, her former agency.

With each passing hour throwing her deeper into the game of life and death, Hunter must decide who to trust before this mission becomes her last. 

First 250 Words:
As a type one telepath, you would think I had the skills not to end up freezing to death in the middle of Seattle, Washington. It was a dreary place where the sun didn’t shine and the rain came and went like waves on the shore. It wasn’t an ideal place but it was where the bounty had brought me. I was searching for a mark that was proving to be a pain in my ass. It had been three weeks since we had taken the job and today was the closest we had been to finding Dawn Miles.

My heart skipped a beat when the com in my ear buzzed. “Hunter, we’re running out of time. You know what happens if someone else gets to Miles before we do. All this work would be for nothing.”

In the bounty hunter line of work, you never knew who else was out there searching for the same prize, especially when one paid as well as this did. I exhaled and tried to calm my nerves. This one wasn’t going to get away.

“I’m trying. There are a lot of minds to sift through.” I spoke quietly to my partner Bear, trying not to look like a crazy person. My mind was lost in the sea of people, drifting through their inner monologues, almost losing myself in their stories. Sweat dripped from my temples as I pulled myself from almost passing out.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks to everyone who is taking their time to stop by today. I am extremely proud to share my story with all of you and thank you to Katie for this amazing opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read the first three chapters of this. Would you mind emailing them (and the query) to me at kdehaba@blazepub.com?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Sarai! I would love to read the first three chapters of this as well. If you're interested in submitting, I'd love to see it! My email is heather@futurehousepublishing.com, but it will probably be easier to submit on our website: http://www.futurehousepublishing.com/submissions/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest. I will send my manuscript to you right away.

      Delete