Monday, February 29, 2016

Son of a Pitch Entry: No Halo

Title: No Halo
Age and Genre: NA UF/Paranormal
Word Count: 113,000
Query:
At nineteen years old and over six feet tall, Abigail Aristoklis is a legitimate contender for heptathlon at the next Olympics. She can thank her guardian angel, Malakim, for her tremendous athleticism and natural charm. However, Abby’s training has nothing to do with competition -- she’s being developed into Kim's instrument of vengeance.

When Abby finally slays the demon Kim has sought for twenty years, she draws the attention of the supernatural community. They see someone with Abby’s skill set as a vital asset, and strong-arm her into working as their newest field agent.

Abby's first mission fails disastrously when Kim seizes control and nearly gets them both killed, allowing their target to escape and leaving Abby wanted for murder. Now concerned that Kim might not be the benevolent guardian angel she claims to be, Abby banishes Kim from her mind. But when an archdemon threatens to rampage across Los Angeles, Abby needs Kim’s assistance to stop it — if Abby still trusts Kim with her soul.​


First 250 words:
Dammit. 7:02 already? Van Priestley would be here any second and I was still getting dressed.

You didn’t have to invite him over for dinner, you know. We could have gone to a restaurant like normal people, rather than pretending like I can cook.

Naturally, my guardian angel didn't let that one go.

“You seem awfully worried about impressing someone we plan on killing.”

I paused in the middle of putting in my earrings.

But are you sure he’s the one, Kim? I mean, he could just be some dude. And a really hot date.

“Abby, I already told you he’s the one. His soul’s not human. We should be preparing our attack, not preparing to sleep with him.”


I eyed my only pair of stilettos. At my height, heels required a particularly special occasion. Then again, this night was twenty years in the making.

Kim interrupted my thoughts.
“He must have addled your brain somehow. You’re putting our mission at risk, and we’ve waited far too long to blunder our way through this.”

​Under Kim’s control, my body trotted out to the living room of my cramped one-bedroom to prepare for killing the demon masquerading as my date.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you to everyone who allowed my entry to reach this far.

    Please do not hesitate to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't this one out of my head. :) Feel free to send the first 3 chapters, along with a synopsis, to bookfishbooks@gmail.com Send as word doc attachments please. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued! I'd like to see the query (in an email) along with the first three chapters and synopsis as .doc(x) attachments. Send to acquisitions@curiosityquills.com. Please be sure to put Attn: Alison on your query so it gets to me. Looking forward to reading more. :-)

    ReplyDelete